Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer
Construction Office: 609-361-6679 ι Zoning office: 609-361-6651 ι Land Use: 609-361-6653

Zoning Map

FEMA Flood Map

Zoning Laws  (Chapter 205)

Chapter 94: Flood Damage Prevention

Construction Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am-3pm

Permit Pick-up
If you wish to pick-up a permit, call ahead to confirm the cost and provide a check number. We will issue the permit and put it in the box. Checks should be left in the box upon pick-up.

Permit Drop-off
If you are dropping off, make sure that you include your name, block and lot and a phone number to reach you in case we need additional documents. Inspections Inspections will continue as normal. Please maintain a safe distance from the field inspectors. There is no need to walk the job in close proximity with the inspector. Our inspectors will inform the responsible person of any corrections needed and the appropriate sticker will be left on the job.

Resale CO’s

For questions please contact: Jackie Cartagena at 609-361-6695 or

At this time, we are continuing to process resale CO applications. Applications need to be picked up; we do not have a PDF version of this application. Please refer to the Resale Checklist if you have any questions on what will be inspected and any required paperwork needed to obtain your certificate of occupancy. You will need to call and schedule your inspections, south-end properties are done every Wednesday and north-end properties are done every Thursday. We now have a limit on the number of inspections done daily- an application, check, survey, and entry information at minimum are needed to schedule.

Declaration of Deed Restriction: Download, print, fill out, and have form notarized.

Resale CO Checklist


Inspections & Building Permits

It is best to contact Building Inspectors or Code Enforcement Officers in the morning hours between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. before they begin their daily inspections.

Permit Applications may be submitted during regular hours of operation. They will not be accepted by mail. Please have a complete application when applying. Informative handouts are available explaining required paperwork to accompany applications. Please allow twenty business days review time for new construction and substantial improvement permits.

An inspection schedule will be given when building permit is approved.

The schedule for inspections is as follows:

Building, Plumbing, And Fire
Monday, Wednesday, Friday – Areas South of Ship Bottom
Tuesday and Thursday – Areas North of Ship Bottom

We understand your need for timely inspections so please schedule them at least 24 hours in advance so that we can address our schedule accordingly. A block and lot number and address of the property to be inspected is needed, and a permit number is also helpful.

Certificates of Occupancy are usually issued three to five business days after approved building and zoning inspection is conducted. Please inquire as to necessary final paperwork for C.O. at time of application.

Inspections for Resale Certificates of Occupancy are normally conducted on Wednesday on the south end (Holgate – Brant Beach) and on Thursday on the north end (North Beach, Loveladies, High Bar Harbor). A complete application and $75.00 fee should be received in the office the day prior to the scheduled inspection. A Deed Restriction is now required on all property sales. Please contact the construction Department at (609) 361-6654 for complete details.

A Note To Homeowners and Contractors
All general contractors and sub-contractors will require a state license as of January 1, 2006.

Building Permits are required for most types of construction.

If you are planning major construction or just general repairs, please contact the Construction Department about permit requirements.

House Numbers
We have become aware of numerous homes lacking house numbers. It is a requirement to have house numbers for emergency response (911) or fire response. Having these numbers allows for these responders to arrive rapidly, which in many cases will be lifesaving.

Property Maintenance Code: PM:304.2 Street Numbers
Each structure to which a street number has been assigned shall have such number displayed in a position easily observed and readable from the public right-of-way. All numbers shall be in Arabic numerals at least 3 inches (76mm) high and 1/2 inch (13mm) stroke. We appreciate your attention to this matter. Please contact our office 609-361-6679 to verify your house number.

A Guide to CAFRA- 1&2 family homes

Changes to the Fire Code for Residential Rental Properties


Dune Walkovers

Before installation of all rollaway dune walkovers, they must be registered with the township zoning department. Call 609-361-6679 to register the walkover. Do not cut any installed dune fencing to the beach.  You must call the zoning department. The township will cut all dune fence openings to the beach. Rollover walkways shall be rolled up and safely stored during the period December 1 through March 31 of each year. 


Your property may have been affected by the recent flood.

Here are some things you should know:

Repairs to your building require a permit from the Township permit office. Before you alter or replace any of the following items, you MUST obtain a building permit: the roof, walls, siding, wallboard, insulation, paneling, flooring, electrical system, plumbing, heating, or air conditioning.

You may proceed with clean up activities and temporary emergency repairs without a permit. These include: Removing and disposing of damaged contents, carpeting, wallboard, Insulation, etc . Hosing scrubbing or cleaning floors, walls, ductwork, etc. Covering holes in roofs or walls and covering windows Removing sagging ceilings, shoring up broken foundations, and other . actions to make the building safer to enter.

In order to screen out possible opportunists from taking advantage of the current situation, any contracted work must be done by a NJ licensed contractor. Furthermore, residents are cautioned and warned NOT to sign blank contracts, agree to have work performed without first seeing the contractor’s registration card, or allow work or alteration without a township permit.


Dealing with Contractors

If you have been satisfied with work done by local contractors, try them first. If they cannot help you, ask them for recommendations. If you must hire a contractor you do not know, talk to several contractors before you sign anything. Reputable contractors agree that you should take the following steps:

Check on the firm’s reputation
The Better Business Bureau (609-588-0808), Home Builders Association, or building trades council are excellent sources. Ask if the firm has had unanswered complaints filed against it.

Look out for “special deals”
Be cautious when unfamiliar contractors offer “special deals” after a disaster or want to use your home as a “model home.” Ask for complete financial details in writing and for an explanation of any differences from regular prices. Sales are worthwhile and they do exist, but be sure you are getting the services and products you are paying for.

Ask for proof of insurance
Worker’s compensation and general liability insurance are absolutely essential. If the contractor is not insured, you may be liable for accidents on your property.

Ask for references
Contractors should be willing to provide names of previous customers. Call some of the customers and ask if they would hire the contractor again.

Ask for written estimate
Check it for thoroughness. Some contractors may charge a fee for an estimate, which is understandable when they have plenty of work to do.

Ask for a contract
The contract should be complete and clearly state all the work and the costs. Never sign a blank contract or one with blank spaces. If a lot of money is involved, it may be worth your while to have the contract reviewed by a lawyer.

Ask for any guarantees in writing
If the contractor provides guarantees, the written statement should include what is guaranteed, who is responsible for the guarantee (the dealer, the contractor, or the manufacturer), what is covered beyond the written guarantee, and its duration.

Obtain a copy of the final signed contract
Once signed, it is binding on both you and the contractor.

Cool off
Do not sign a contract when a salesperson has pressured you. Federal law requires a three-day “cooling off” period for unsolicited door-to-door sales of more than $25. If you want to cancel such a contract within three business days of signing it, send your cancellation by registered mail. Other types of sales may have contracts with varying decision clauses.

Avoid cash payments
Beware if you are asked to pay cash on the spot instead of a check made out to the contracting company. A reasonable down payment is 10%-30% of the total cost of the project.

Don’t sign off before the job is finished
Don’t sign completion papers or make the final payment until the work is completed to your satisfaction. A reputable contractor will not threaten you or pressure you to sign if the job is not finished.

Get your permits
Most home improvements, fences, and other yard work require a permit from the Construction Office. A permit is needed before the project is started to be sure that it meets code and will not cause a drainage problem on neighboring properties.

Get your inspections
The Construction Dept. of Long Beach Twp. (609-361-6679) needs to inspect electrical and plumbing lines before the walls are covered with wallboard or paneling. When the project is finished, make sure your contractor calls you and the appropriate agency to inspect work before it is covered over. Shoddy work on sewers or basement walls will be hidden from view and you won’t know if there is a problem until the next flood.

Get help
If you are a victim of fraud or have problems with a less than reputable contractor, the Office of Consumer Protection (973-504-6200) has a consumer protection officer who can tell you what steps to take.

For more information on the township’s building requirements, contact the Long Beach Township Construction Office at 609-361-6679.

Hiring Home Improvement Contractor – NJ Consumer Affairs